Douglas F. Higham, Jr. is a transactional lawyer and focuses his practice on corporate and business law, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, securities, and venture capital and other financing transactions.
Transactional matters handled by Doug on behalf of clients involve the entire life-cycle of a business, including, entity selection and formation (with all corresponding obligations such as registrations and securities issuances and filings), ongoing corporate governance, day-to-day operations and strategy, mergers and acquisitions (including preparation of relevant Hart-Scott-Rodino pre-merger notifications), and dissolution.
Doug has extensive experience drafting and negotiating agreements of all types, including: distribution and supply; employment; entity charter documents; purchases and sales of businesses (together with related financing transactions); real estate leases, purchases, financings and sales; technology transfer and use (including software license agreements, end user license agreements and other agreements); service agreements; and health-care industry related agreements (ensuring compliance with HIPAA, HITECH Act, Stark Act and Anti-kickback regulations).
- Corporate & Business
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Doug assisted a family-owned, premium pillow and mattress manufacturer (with operations in the US and Mexico) with the sale of its issued and outstanding stock to a subsidiary of international mattress and textile leader, Bekaert Textiles.
- Doug assisted Wild Rockets Foods, LLC (a primary supplier to U.S.-based chain, Fresh & Easy) with the sale of all of its membership interests to U.K. supermarket giant, Tesco.
- Doug assisted a major Southern California supermarket chain with the sale of substantially all of the assets of its subsidiary to Dean Foods. The deal included the preparation of the relevant Hart-Scott-Rodino pre-merger notification and a follow-up investigation of the transaction by the United States Department of Justice.
- Doug assisted an office maintenance company with the sale of all of its issued and outstanding membership interests to California Office Maintenance, Inc., one of the leaders in commercial office maintenance in San Diego County.
- Doug assisted an industrial gas company with the sale of all of its issued and outstanding capital stock to an affiliate of AirGas, Inc., the largest U.S. distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases and hard goods, such as welding equipment and supplies. The transaction included the analysis and resolution of complex issues related to the transfer of privately held securities, real estate and employment-related matters.
- Doug assisted a major beverage company with the sale of substantially all of its assets to a multi-billion dollar holding company and one of the largest players in the United States beverage distribution industry. The transaction required the analysis and resolution of complex issues involving the transfer of inventory, licenses, real estate, equipment and other related assets.
- Doug assisted with a corporate refinancing in the amount of $285 million.
Community Involvement & Pro Bono
- LifeStream Foundation, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Inland Empire Chapter, Member of Board of Directors
- Boy Scouts of America, Unit Leader, Crew/Troop 899, Corona, California
- Served Volunteer Church Mission in Argentina
- Santa Clara University, JD, 2006
- University of Utah, BA, Finance, 2001
- American Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
- Riverside County Bar Association
- United States District Court (Central District of California)